A can of tuna

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I need some ideas for what to do with a can of tuna. I’m struggling to meet my protein needs in a day and adding tuna is pretty simple. I’m just bored really, I make tuna salad or simply plop it on my salad. I’m trying to keep it relatively healthy so no recommendations to bake it in a wheel of brie lol.

Joined Sep 17, 2018
Is there a specific reason for the tuna? There are plenty of alternatives that are sources or protein.

Joined Jan 8, 2010
Mix with cream cheese and herbs and spices and you got a nice spread.

Straight on bread

With tomatoes and pasta

I'm sure you can make a decent fish curry out of it as well.
There should be many more options

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Is there a specific reason for the tuna? There are plenty of alternatives that are sources or protein.
Because I already have many different ways of preparing other proteins such as chicken breast, salmon filets etc. I don’t know what much to do with canned tuna aside from making a tuna salad and it’s a nice quick no-cook protein.

Joined Sep 21, 2001
There are hundreds of tuna casserole recipes out there. I bet there are hundreds of cookbooks out there that are named something like '101 Tuna Casseroles and Recipes'.
I think the only thing Minnesota might have more of than lakes are Tuna Hot Dish recipes.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Make an old school Provencal tapenade and toss with pasta. It is equal parts olives, capers, and a mix of anchovies/tuna. You could skip the anchovies and make it all tuna.

Joined Apr 25, 2017
Use it for the protein in a bowl of ramen (or rather rice noodles in your case). Make your broth and veg, toss in the tuna and take off the heat, add cooked noodles. We do this with canned chicken as well for in a hurry meals.

Saute peppers, onion, tomatoes, etc., stir in tuna to heat and serve on top of steel cut oats for breakfast.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
My mom would make a patty or cake from canned fish. Think crab cake, but use canned tuna.

I like this pasta from Nick Stellino. You're gluten sensitive as I recall so maybe over rice or potato instead. Or gluten free pastas of course.

Pasta al Sugo di Tonno e Limone
PASTA WITH TUNA AND LEMON
3 quarts (2.75 l ) water
I pound (450 g) penne pasta
3 garlic doves, thickly sliced
red pepper flakes
(6 1/2-ounce) (190 g) can water parked tuna, drained and flaked
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh Inalian parsley
1/4 cup pasta cooking water
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano chese (optional)

Bring the water for the pasta to a boil in a large pot. Add the
and cook until just tender.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil, garlic and red pepper
flakes in a large sauté pan set on medium heat until sizzling, about
3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add the
tuna (if it hasn't been well-drained, you will get excessive spattering
from the oil), lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons
of the chopped parsley and the pasta cooking water. Return the
pan to low heat and stir well. Cook for 2-3 minutes and remove
from the heat.
Drain the cooked pasta and return it to the pot. Pour the
sauce over the pasta, add the remaining parsley and cook on me-
dium heat for 3 minutes, tossing until well coated. Remove from
the heat and stir in the cheese. The pasta is now ready
to serve.
I like it even better with tuna in olive oil and use the can oil for added flavor.

My wife likes tuna fish gravy over baked potato. It was a poverty comfort food for her family during stagflation of the 70s. Bechamel with tuna basically.

Tuna Melt

Joined Nov 15, 2012
There was a time I felt I needed to eliminate oils (actually it was gluten and lectin causing the problems, but doctors knew nothing about that at the time, or much of anything else about nutrition).

Anyway, I rather liked subbing mashed butternut squash for mayo in tuna salad.

Nowadays I prefer mixing equal parts of water and oil packed tuna, with a drop of mayo. The oil-packed tuna adds plenty of unctuousness even when you squeeze most the oil out.

If you slice an onion or shallot dice very thin it imparts a different flavor profile as well as texture. Takes a very sharp knife though.

Tuna with some bechamel is very nice over things, add a little balsamic. Not big on tuna casseroles for some reason, but like the antipasti suggestion.

Joined May 5, 2010
We grew up eating tuna patties fried in margarine. Mom added grated onion, an egg, and bread crumbs.
Tuna noodle casserole was also a staple.
She made tuna salad, and placed a spoonful on a hamburger bun with American cheese, wrapped them in foil and baked them on low....aka
"Tuna Bumbsteads."
Salad Nicoise is great, as is avocado and tuna in a pita pocket with cucumber and red onion.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
I was browsing through a recent culinary periodical when I ran across an article on how prohibition brought Angostura bitters into the kitchen and it mentioned a cookbook with a recipe for tunanoodle dinner. My curiosity hooked me and I had to see this gem from 1964. In no way is this to be considered vouching or reccommending this recipe, I will leave that up to individuals. Your mileage may vary. I was merely a happy victim of my own nosiness. Shades of The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do the Time Warp Again

The Secret of Better Taste / The Angostura Cook Book
TUNANOODLE DINNER
1/2 pound medium wide noodles
1 package (3-oz.) cream cheese
3 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons Angostura
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1 can (7-oz.) tuna
Procedure:
Break noodles into small pieces. Drop into boiling salted water and cook until tender according to package directions. Using fork, work softened cream cheese and 3 tablespoons cream in bowl until it is creamy. Add 1 teaspoon An-gostura. When noodles are done, drain in colander and stir in cream cheese mixture. Place in casserole or pack in ring mold and keep warm in oven. Mean-time, melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour until well blended. Add cream and milk gradually, stir-ring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick. Add 1 teaspoon Angostura, salt, pepper. Fold in flaked tuna. Serve tuna over noodles.
Yield: 6 servings.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
A half-pound of dry noodles for 7oz of tuna!? I guess I would use that with 2 or 3 cans of tuna. Does sound like something to try at least once.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I was browsing through a recent culinary periodical when I ran across an article on how prohibition brought Angostura bitters into the kitchen and it mentioned a cookbook with a recipe for tunanoodle dinner. My curiosity hooked me and I had to see this gem from 1964. In no way is this to be considered vouching or reccommending this recipe, I will leave that up to individuals. Your mileage may vary. I was merely a happy victim of my own nosiness. Shades of The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let's Do the Time Warp Again

The Secret of Better Taste / The Angostura Cook Book
TUNANOODLE DINNER
1/2 pound medium wide noodles
1 package (3-oz.) cream cheese
3 tablespoons cream
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup cream
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons Angostura
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1 can (7-oz.) tuna
Procedure:
Break noodles into small pieces. Drop into boiling salted water and cook until tender according to package directions. Using fork, work softened cream cheese and 3 tablespoons cream in bowl until it is creamy. Add 1 teaspoon An-gostura. When noodles are done, drain in colander and stir in cream cheese mixture. Place in casserole or pack in ring mold and keep warm in oven. Mean-time, melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour until well blended. Add cream and milk gradually, stir-ring constantly until mixture is smooth and thick. Add 1 teaspoon Angostura, salt, pepper. Fold in flaked tuna. Serve tuna over noodles.
Yield: 6 servings.
Did you make it? What are Angostura?

Joined Oct 9, 2008
Re: cheflayne cheflayne cream cheese thing -- somebody needs to make this and document it. Come to think of it, I guess I could try. Hmm. Maybe this weekend or something. Unless someone else is willing to play guinea pig?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Re: cheflayne cheflayne cream cheese thing -- somebody needs to make this and document it. Come to think of it, I guess I could try. Hmm. Maybe this weekend or something. Unless someone else is willing to play guinea pig?
Go right ahead. I grew up on casseroles like this and was a very skinny kid. I’d rather go hungry than eat it.

Top Bottom
日本黄色